5 Tips for A Spring Style Transformation (and a contest)
Although the calendar says spring is officially here, it’s that time of year when one day you can feel the summer warmth and then the next the bite of winter’s cold. How is an ethical fashionista to navigate the (dare we say) bipolar weather? Here are five tips:
- Layers: Whether its with a duster, a trench or cape slung over the shoulder, make sure you are ready for the sudden change in weather. This is the season to break out the pullovers and cardigans to layer with lighter weight jackets. It’s also a good idea to keep an umbrella tucked into your purse. You know what they say…. ‘April showers make May flowers’.
- Adding floral: Speaking of flowers, a touch of flora can brighten up your winter darks. Some times the easiest way to transition is to bring in a touch of bloom, whether it’s with a scarf, tunic or top.
- Lighten up: If you’re not a ‘floral’ girl, you can still add light back to your wardrobe with light neutrals: white, beige, tan, heather, etc. In your layering, try to include at least one layer that is light in color or tone. Again, it could be with a scarf, tunic, or pullover.
- Show some skin: Now’s the time to break out the shorter, spring pants and pair them with booties revealing a touch of skin above the ankles, or keep the skirts and dresses with knee boots, just ditch the tights.
- Freshen the make-up: Make sure your makeup is getting a seasonal tweak as well. With more daylight hours and sun forecast ahead, swap foundation for tinted moisturizer or burst out the bronzer. Matte red will be the season’s hottest lip. Get a jumpstart on the trend.
To help you get ready for spring, we’ve teamed up with ethical fashion e-tailer Gather&See, for the next 2 weeks they will be sharing inspiration and tips styling tips on facebook, twitter and instagram to help you master trans-seasonal dressing.
Some seasonal transition tips Gather&See:
Shopping sustainably is all about shopping smart. One of the very best ways to shop smarter is to choose versatile, timeless pieces that you will get wear after wear out of. Choosing an outfit that you can style in multiple ways and carry through the seasons is not only better for your wallet, it is better for the environment too. The more streamlined our wardrobes, the less waste we produce and less water and chemicals are consumed and, if you choose the right brand, you can guarantee that your cherished item was produced by workers paid a living wage in a safe environment.
A simple cardigan that provided an extra layer of warmth over a wool knit and pants can act as a summer jacket worn with shorts and a T. Winter boots that you wore with your favourite skinny jeans can provide just the edge needed to a feminine silk dress for spring days. A sleeveless dress that looked the part teamed with a longsleeve t-shirt in winter suddenly comes into its own worn simply with bare arms and sandals. The possiblities are endless!
To further put you in the springy mood and to celebrate timeless ethical style that takes you through the seasons, here is a chance to win $150 to spend at Gather&See. To enter simply sign up for the Magnifeco and Gather&See newsletters here.
The winner will be picked at random on the 1st April, good luck!