6 tips to keeping your fashion resolution for a cleaner, leaner closet

By Staff | Women
Posted Jan 23, 2016

This is the year that your closet is going to start to reflect your values; the purchases you make will be thoughtfully considered and you’ll only buy pieces you really love. If that’s your resolution, but you’re having a hard time starting, we have some tips for you.

  1. Do a fashion ‘fast’. Commit to a shopping fast for 30 days (or longer!) See if you can break the buying habit and find the pleasure in what you already own. Some stats say we only wear 20% of our closet, so take the time during your fast to pull out the other 80% and get reacquainted.
  2. Join the Livia Firth (of EcoAge.com) driven #30wears campaign. Angered by fast fashion’s attitude that clothing is ‘disposable’, Firth is asking everyone to commit to wearing each item 30 times. This is great for the pieces already in your closet and also acts as a great evaluation tool for future purchases.
  3. Create a uniform. You’ll know you already wear one (of sorts) if every week, when you do the laundry, you are washing the same clothes. Have fun with it. Make it your signature. Uniform dressing means you can cut down on the number of items you purchase per year, giving you extra money to stay clear of fast fashion chains and invest in pieces that will last.
  4. Create a minimalist wardrobe. This requires scaling back on what you own to what you really need – 10 to 20 pieces. Not only do you declutter your life, but with so few pieces, it means you can start to invest in high quality items you adore. Now, before you purge completely we suggest a ‘staging process’: whittle your wardrobe down to the essentials, but to ensure you have the right pieces, store the rest (under the bed, in a box in the back of the closet) and try your minimalist wardrobe for a month. With everything still in your possession, swap out the ones you didn’t wear or that didn’t work.
  5. Practice the 3-7-14 shopping rule. The low prices at fast fashion stores often tempt us to overbuy. This rule helps you decide if you made the right choice. 3: If you buy something and haven’t worn it within three days, you’re probably not going to wear it. 7: If you still haven’t worn it in seven days, accept it – you are definitely not going to wear it. 14: Take it back within 14 days or you are probably never going to return it. This principle works for everything: shoes, clothes, jewelry, etc.
  6. Shop with V.A.L.U.E., from the #magnifecobook. Each letter poses a question to help evaluate the purchase. It starts with: Do I need to buy it and does it need to be new? Could I rent, borrow or buy it second-hand? (Vintage). Could my purchase help an artisan community in a developing country (Artisan), or could it help a designer or maker in my own community (Local). Is the item saving something from landfill? (Upcycled) And, lastly, does this purchase match my values? Does it support animal rights (vegan), human rights (fairtrade) or environmental rights (eco-friendly)? (Ethical).

Whichever method you choose, remember Vivienne Westwood’s fantastic advice: “Buy less, choose well, make it last.”

Ads By Google