For the Love of the Sea: 7 Sustainable Trunks for Sun and Surf (for him)
Girls don’t have to have all of the ‘ethical’ fun this summer. We have a list of eco and ethical swimwear for men too – whether you prefer board or Euro-style shorts, this list has something for you:
- Faherty Brand: Living a never ending summer. We love: their signature fabric is made of quick drying recycled polyester from plastic bottles with a blend of cotton for a soft feel. They love: clothing made from premium materials, both ethically sourced and environmentally sound, with a focus on craftsmanship.
- Greenlines: Rooted in classic surf culture. We love: boardshorts made from 100% recycled polyester fabric. They love: recycled materials and water-based dyes used in the production of green, environmentally conscious sportswear. Plus: they donate a portion of profits to preserve the local beaches and marine life with organizations like The Surfrider Foundation, Clean Ocean Action, Surfers’ Environmental Alliance, and Oceans Plastic Challenge.
- MyMarini: Ethical swimwear made in Hamburg. We love: ethical swimwear for surfers who care, and for all others, who love water, exercise, style and the planet. They love: the single fabric they use for each suit is manufactured in Italy, in an eco-friendly process. Production takes place in Germany and patterns and designs are developed in designer’s hometown of Hamburg.
- Outerknown: Exploring the relationship between function, style and sustainability. We love: co-founded by Kelly Slater, eleven-time World Surf League champion. They love: transparency. They have partnered with the Fair Labor Association, abiding by their code of conduct (the best standard for protecting and promoting working conditions within a supply chain). Also, they have partnered with Bluesign, which eliminates harmful substances from the beginning of the manufacturing process where the biggest environmental impact is made.
- Patagonia: Gear for the silent sports. We love: the company values reflect those of a business started by a band of climbers and surfers, and the minimalist style they promoted. They love: the planet. They use recycled polyester in many of their clothes and only organic, rather than pesticide-intensive, cotton. Plus, they donate their time, services and at least 1% of sales to hundreds of grassroots environmental groups all over the world.
- Riz Boardshorts: Eco-friendly board shorts and tailored swim shorts. We love: made in small batches in Portugal (and shipped for free). They love: designing and producing the high quality, sustainable boardshorts and men’s swim shorts from 100% recycled and recyclable fabric (plastic bottles) and digitally printed using earth friendly water based inks.
- United by Blue: Responsible, durable goods. We love: shorts made from a mix of Organic Cotton (prevents chemical fertilizers and pesticides from draining into oceans and waterways and recycled polyester (made from recycled plastic water bottles). They love: the sea. For every product sold, United By Blue removes one pound of trash from oceans and waterways through company organized cleanups.